ATC Best of 2014: Lucho’s Guide To Heart Rate Training, Improve VO2max in 7 Sessions, Causes and Remedies for Groin Pain, Common First-Timer Ironman Mistakes, Mighty Mitochondria, and More
November 21, 2014
In this “Best of 2014” episode of Ask the Coaches, Lucho and Tawnee answer your questions on:
- Racing an Xterra, 70.3, and Ironman in one season: When to ride the MTB vs. road/tri bike? Is a 3hr ride a 3hr ride regardless of the bike?
- Three-year plan to try and qualify for Kona in the 40-44 age group for a reasonably well rounded athlete, advice!
- Groin pain after intense runs – what’s the cause, is it muscle imbalance, weakness, etc, and how to fix?
- “The Lucho Guide to Heart Rate Training” – breakdown of his “zones” using MAF and Threshold; i.e. Base = Threshold minus 20 beats, Temp = Threshold minus 10, etc.
- The difference in beats between MAF and Threshold and what that says about your fitness
- The importance of maintaining your high end and how fast you can increase VO2max
- How much does body type affect endurance training
- Slow-twitch vs. fast-twitch muscle fiber types, and importance for endurance athletes
- What are the biggest mistakes you’ve seen someone make (or you yourselves have made) while competing in their first ironman?
- Difference between a speed versus a power workout in running?
- Best exercise to work on bike strength when all you have is an island bike on an island
- Exercises to build upper body strength for an athlete with limited range of motion in right elbow.
- how do you take a marathon program and adapt it for 100-mile training?
- Mitochondria: how can you either increase the number/density or function through diet or exercise, and are efforts longer than 60min effective in their development?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |