Dr. Tamsin Lewis: Regaining Menstruation, Breastfeeding for Athlete Moms, Postpartum Performance and More
December 28, 2016
If you’re looking for that extra bit of support to build a richer, fuller, healthier life head to Life Post Collective
, an “inner circle community” created by host Tawnee Prazak where she shares her expertise on holistic health, wellness, nutrition, fitness and more, and helps you on your path to optimization. Right now you can join Life Post Collective for just $1 for the first month; use the code “holiday2016” when signing up.
See you at LPC, where you will enjoy direct access to Tawnee and a like-minded community all working toward common goals.
On this episode with Dr. Tamsin Lewis of Curoseven, we dive deeper into female issues, how to be a healthy fertile female athlete and Q&A:
- Tawnee shares personal details about regaining her menstruation once she made the decision to stop being such a hard-hitting athlete, and the time it took for her periods to normalize.
- The value of tracking your female health and cycles.
- Tamsin shares more of her story from pro triathlete to regaining health and her pregnancy.
- Depending on the situation, normalizing one’s period after years of amenorrhea can take time, even years.
- A crucial variable in proper HPA axis function and healthy hormones for a normal cycle is energy availability (how much you have once you subtract energy expenditure from energy intake).
- Questions from female athletes:
- Competitive female endurance athlete wants to start a family with her husband. She recently stopped taking the pill and hasn’t gotten a period back yet. Is it normal for a woman’s body to take time to readjust after being on the pill for so long or is there potentially a deeper issue to address?
- Are there certain tests to determine if there are underlying problems?
- Scale back on exercise (and if so to what extent)?
- Supplementing? Thorne Basic Prenatal and what else to be healthy before baby?
- Breastfeeding while training and racing an Ironman – are there special considerations? Was very active during pregnancy, so this is not too much of a new extreme.
- Bouncing back to great fitness postpartum – faster than before! But what can female athlete moms expect as far as performance after weaning and hormones regulating?
- Does breastfeeding or not breastfeeding (i.e. the hormones) influence performance?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |