Sports Nutrition 230: Food Combining, Thyroid Support and the 2016 Diet Trend You Want to Know About
February 1, 2016
Check out our SHOP page that offers an ever-growing list of trusted services and products we’ve come to love, use and endorse–helping you achieve the ultimate in health and performance. Also when you shop through endurance planet you directly help support the podcast. Company spotlight: We love the supplements and trusted formulas by Exos Performance Nutrition including their AM/PM Multivitamin, Aminos, Curcumin, and more.
On this show with Ben Greenfield:
“Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digtial Age” by Sherry Turkle; book talk with Ben and Tawnee
- Importance of food combining and mixing macros
- Eating fats & proteins with carbs can slow sugar release, which can be a good thing to control blood sugar, but does eating fats & protein with carbs take longer to digest due to different acid environments? Examples: fruit/honey with fats; steak and potatoes, etc.
- Different acidity in foods and digestion
- Are eggs and bacon really the best idea for a pre-race or pre-workout breakfast even if you are fat-adapted?? We talk pros and cons of this meal.
- Why it’s sometimes a good idea to forgo protein and fat before a gnarly workout/race.
- What is an “easy digesting” fat-adapted breakfast?
- Should we be loading up our veggies with butter, coconut oil or other fats?
- Bitter melon extract
- Cinnamon with carbs for blood sugar control
Amino acids (protein supplements)
- Powder vs. pills?
- What’s the difference, is one form superior, and why?
Nutrition and supplements for thyroid support
- How you know when thyroid needs a boots: TSH is high, T3 is low
- To convert T4 to T3 you need glucose
- The tradeoff on too little or too much T3 for longevity
- Supplements discussed:
- Thyro-gold – using thyroid powder from pasture-fed New Zealand cows
- L-aspartic acid
- Coleus Froskohlii
2016 Diet Trends
- Dietary customization with genetic testing, blood work, gut testing and more
- Honing in on your diet unique to your needs, with technology to support convenience
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |