TriNews: The Staggering Stats of ‘Making it’ as a Pro Triathlete… But Following a Dream? Priceless
March 14, 2016
Head to enduranceplanet.com/shop for a bunch of cool products and services we’ve come to love, use and endorse. Everything we offer is centered around helping you optimize health & performance. Also when you shop through endurance planet you directly help support the podcast so we can continue to provide you with great content always for free!
On this special episode of TriNews with Thorsten Radde we dive into the topic of going pro and what it really entails.
- “I want to go pro, what do I need to do?”
- Criteria: U.S. vs. other countries’ requirements on achieving pro status
- Variables to consider: current lifestyle vs. lifestyle as pro, will you still be working part- or full-time, do you have time to train and recover like a pro?
- How has becoming a professional triathlete evolved in the past 5, 10, 15+ years?
- How many pro triathletes exist today
- Financial considerations
- Of today’s long-course pros, how many are able to make a comfortable living off just prize purse earnings?
- How else do pro triathletes make a living?
- Comparing pro triathlete’s income with other pro sports
- Sponsorship and endorsements for pros
- What do sponsorships offer? And what do sponsors require from their pros?
- How to be appealing to sponsors in what you offer in not only performance, but your following, reputation, online presence, etc.
- Sponsors vs. affiliates (and how this works in podcasting, too)
- The bottom line of needing to perform to make ends meet
- Finding longevity and a sustainable approach as a pro: is it possible this day in age?
- The KPR system and the need to race a lot to “make it”… is allowing for long-lasting careers and healthy pros?
- Long-course pros vs ITU pros
- How Olympic triathletes are more supported by the federation
- The role of “donors”
- Examples of up-and-coming pro’s who had rocky starts: Kyle Buckingham, Matt Hansen, Matt Trautman, etc.
- From a pure stats & POV (not emotional) does Thorsten think going pro is wise?
- But from an emotional standpoint and the idea of following your dreams, taking a chance and taking risks… is going pro worth it?
- Never living a life of “what if’s” and coulda, shoulda, woulda’s
- It may be hard, but if you have what it takes… go for it! That’s what we think!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android |