ATC 212: Adding Alactic Training For A Boost, Balancing Health vs. Fitness Goals, and How to Dominate Short-Course Triathlons
June 24, 2016
This episode is brought to you by Generation UCAN Superstarch, the fuel of choice for healthy athletes looking to burn fat for fuel, maintain steady energy without the spikes and crashes, and optimize sports performance. EP fans get 15% off UCAN, shop now.
On this show with Lucho and Tawnee:
- Alactic training routines: What does this even mean? The benefits of alactic training, application and exercise examples. Plus assessing your readiness. This came up on the show with Maffetone and Mark Cucuzella, and Mark says at the end of runs he does: ABCD skips, single leg run, 40 meter sprints, burpees, etc.
- How to transition back to short-course racing and re-gain speed after doing long-course and aerobic training for several years.
- Tips to win a sprint world title for age-groupers.
- Phil Maffetone and Paul Laursen’s paper on “Athlete: Fit But Unhealthy”
- Is it possible to have both aggressive health goals AND long-course triathlon performance goals? And how to go about achieving both?
- Is it ok to allow health to potentially suffer a little temporarily in the pursuit of improving fitness and achieving race goals?
- Good health comes first; focus on fitness second.
- How do you assess if health is in a good place to push forward? At what point in a training cycle is it ok to make health secondary to fitness?
- Why do our hearts pound so hard after climbing even just two flights of stairs despite being a super fit athlete?
- Discussing health and performance goals for a menopausal female athlete and prioritizing one’s needs for optimal outcomes.
- Recommended reading: The Hormone Cure by Dr. Sara Gottfried
- How to help your spouse, significant other and/or family adopt a better diet and nutrition when they may not realize all the unhealthy things they are eating. Taking an approach of being kind not negative to help your person change bad food habits to good ones, break addictions and adopt sustainable healthy eating.
- All our shows with Dr. Phil Maffetone
- Military application of the MAF method. How MAF can work in a training routine/job that also requires a lot of intensity and heavy lifting.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |