Yuri Elkaim: Healthy Habits of Top Performers, Improve Sleep Quality, Benefits of Alkaline Diets, and More
June 13, 2016
This episode is brought to you by Generation UCAN Superstarch, the fuel of choice for healthy athletes looking to burn fat for fuel, maintain steady energy without the spikes and crashes, and optimize sports performance. EP fans get 15% off UCAN, shop now.
Yuri Elkaim is a nutrition, fitness, and fat loss expert and the NYT bestselling author of The All-Day Energy Diet and The All-Day Fat Burning Diet. A former professional soccer player turned health crusader, he’s most famous for helping people who’ve tried everything to lose weight and get in great shape, with little success, finally achieve breakthrough results. Yuri is on a mission to empower 10 million people to greater health by 2018 by making fitness and health simple again. And today we’re lucky to be getting some of Yuri’s wisdom on EP. Yuri than you for joining the show!
On this show:
- Yuri’s story of being a pro soccer player, and eventually fit but unhealthy. His symptoms including chronic fatigue, asthma, eczema, etc, and at 17 he lost all his hair after developing an autoimmune condition. He changed everything and found his path to quality health. One of the biggest lessons he learned was the importance of what one does BETWEEN training and/or workout sessions….
- Why all you need is the minimum effective dose.
- Keys to creating good habits that stick:
- Why we shouldn’t invest in willpower and how to set yourself up for success instead
- The power of our environment–make it a good one
- Creating habits requires three steps:
- External vs internal rewards
- The journey is the rewardCuC
- Some key habits of top performers:
- 10 Habits of Successful People (Done Before 9 a.m.)
- Meditation – why is it worth doing a meditative act instead of extra miles or more working out? Yuri explains the science of why meditation is so healthy
- Sleep – deep sleep! Tips on mastering your sleep and why an earlier bedtime matters so much for the best quality sleep
- Yuri’s morning routine and examples of healthy and productive habits
- On nutrition and eating for performance:
- The kind of breakfast Yuri recommends to help manage cortisol levels
- Intermittent fasting – all it takes is once a week or a brief time period to reap the benefits
- Why grazing and eating all the time is terrible for our health (insulin, etc)
- Eating for performance VS fat loss–there is a difference
- Get good at using fat for fuel, that’s always the goal
- On raw foods–why Yuri is a fan
- Alkaline diets–anti-inflammatory, lead to less soreness, and more so more veggies on your plate!
- On coffee–Is Yuri on board with caffeine and Bulletproof coffees or not?
- Listen to Dave Asprey and Yuri “go at it” on the coffee debate in this podcast
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android |